Wednesday 26 November 2014

Thanksgiving

I know what you're thinking:
"You live in Canada. We already celebrated Thanksgiving. Why are you talking about this now?"

And to that, I will respond:
Who says we can only have one day to be thankful?
Who says we can't give thanks every day?

I'm thankful for sun and the energy it gives me.
I'm thankful for cozy sweaters to keep me warm when it's cold.
I'm thankful for ice, because without it, there's no hockey.

I'm thankful for my parents and the wisdom they've given me.
I'm thankful for my friends and their everlasting support.
I'm thankful for cashiers and the patience they obtain even when the days are rough and they've just been yelled at for the hundredth time.

I'm thankful for my education and the opportunities it gives me.
I'm thankful for technology which gives me all the answers I need.
I'm thankful for bus drivers even when they pass me by because I know they're just trying to be on time.

I'm thankful for music and the way I can feel it in my toes.
I'm thankful for Tyler Ward, because he writes songs from his heart, he loves his fans like friends, he uses his fame to send positive messages, and he picked me out of a crowd of hundreds of people and made my day week month year life so much better.

I'm thankful for TV and the lessons I've learned from my shows and movies.
I'm thankful for Harry Potter, and how it has been a part of me from the very beginning to the very end. Always.
I'm thankful for James Lafferty, because...come on, who wouldn't be?

I'm thankful for feminism because every man and woman deserves a voice.
I'm thankful for postmodernism because sometimes it's better not to have all the answers.
I'm thankful for Christianity because I wouldn't be who I am today without God's grace and guidance.

I'm thankful that I have a roof over my head, clothes on my body, food in my fridge, and clean water to drink.
I'm thankful that I have the right to vote.
I'm thankful for the 24 hour Starbucks down the street, where I can always go to do work (and stare at cute boys).
I'm thankful for pizza. I don't even have to explain this one.
I'm even thankful for Justin Bieber, because he brings many young girls happiness. He has his flaws, but so do I. So do you.

Instead of complaining about the things we don't have, we should try being grateful for the things that we do have.
This world would be a lot happier if we stopped taking things for granted and started being thankful.
Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment